History of Nishikawa

History of Nishikawa History of Nishikawa
1549 Niemon Nishikawa I born in the Province of Omi (the east of Kyoto)
1566 At the age of 19, Niemon opened business as a retailer of mosquito nets and other household goods.
1587 The main store Yamagata-ya (Yamagata-ya) opened in the Town of Hachiman in Omi.
Roof tile in the shape of the logo of the Yamagata-ya (Yamagata-ya) store
1615 Opened the branch Tsumami-dana (Tsumami-dana) in Nihombashi, Edo (present day Tokyo)
Kanei year The Omi mosquito net, a light-green colored net with red trim on top designed created by Jingoro II, became a hit product.
1706 Became a licensed mosquito net wholesaler in Edo
1738 Tsumami-dana started wholesale business of bows as well, buying the wholesale and retail rights from Hachiemon of Omi-ya and Kyuemon of Kiya, respectively.
1741 Opened Kakuman-dana (Kakuman-dana) store in Kyobashi, Edo
1750 Opened Kyo-dana(Kyo-dana) store in Kyoto (currently Kyoto Nishikawa)
1772 Tsumami-dana and Kakuman-danastores were damaged due to the Great Meiwa Fire in Edo.
The accounting record of the Tsumami-dana , Kakuman-dana and Kyo-dana stores (transcribed in 1788)
1789 Started trisectional bonus system called "mitsu wari gin"
The record of deposits for bonuses at the Tsumami-dana , Kakuman-dana and Kyo-danastores in 1874
1833 Jingoro Nishikawa IX was appointed as a purveyor of bows by the Tokugawa shogunate and was permitted to carry a sword.
1887 Started selling futons (comforters) at the Osaka and Kyo-dana stores
1920 Adopted a salary system
1923 Completion of five-story building using steel reinforcement as the new Tokyo Tsumami-dana store in June; Rebuilding started after suffering damage in the Great Kanto Earthquake in September.
1929 Adopted an official trademark, the Nishikawa button mark Nishikawa
1945 Tokyo Tsumami-dana and Kyo-dana stores were burnt down by the Great Tokyo Air Raids.
1947 Completion of new building of Tsumami-dana store, renamed as Nishikawa Co., Ltd.
Established Nishikawa Sangyo Co., Ltd. for wholesale business and placed its headquarter within the building of Nishikawa Co., Ltd.
The Nihombashi Nishikawa Building, rebuilt in 1945 after being burned down in the war (photo taken in 1956)
1958 Developed comforters (futons) with synthetic fiberfill and started a boom of western-style linear-quilted comforters
"Fallon"—new synthetic fiberfill, released in 1970
1960 Established the Nishikawa Chain, a voluntary chain store organization
Relocated the headquarter of Nishikawa Sangyo Co., Ltd. to Nihombashitomizawacho
1971 Signed a license agreement with Emanuel Ungaro; It was Japan's first case in the industry to enter into a license agreement with foreign fashion designers.
1984 Established the Japan Research Laboratory of Sleep Science
2009 Launching of the conditioning mattress "AiR"
"AiR" released in 2009
2015 Started a joint research project with International Institute for Integrative Sleep Medicine (IIIS) at the University of Tsukuba
2016 450th anniversary